Summer Roofing Maintenance To-Do List
We know what you’re thinking… it’s Summer, you want to be out having fun, not doing maintenance work on your roof. These Summer roof maintenance tips will take only a couple hours, but the time spent is well worth it because it could save you from costly roof repairs down the road...To ensure your safety, all of these Summer roof care tasks are preformed from the ground. If there is a need to go up on your roof, we recommend you contact us to perform the roof repair or maintenance.
Summer Roofing Maintenance To-Do List:
Since we’re enjoying some hot Summer days, we recommend doing your roofing checklist early in the morning when it’s a bit cooler. Binoculars are helpful for getting a closer look at your roof. We also recommend wearing work gloves.
- Inspect your roof with a complete walk-around from the ground, looking for shingle lift, missing shingles, cracked or dented shingles, moss or any other type of fungal growth, debris that has gathered in corners or roof valleys and roof damage of any kind.
- Inspect the flashing (metal strips) around the chimney, skylight, vents, satellite dish, or any other roof protrusion. Flashing often loosens during harsh weather or can deteriorate over time.
- Check the underside of the eaves for debris that may have gathered and remove it. Be careful since this is a favorite spot for stinging insects to build nests.
- Check for loose gutters. It’s common for storms to loosen them. Tighten all bolts, making certain the gutters are properly angled and aligned to divert water away from the house.
- Clean out gutter, downspouts and roof drains. You’ll be surprised at the amount of flower blooms, twigs, seeds and other debris that gathers in them during the Spring. After cleaning the gutters, test them by running water through them using a garden hose. If the water flows freely through them with no leaks, you’re good to go.